Thursday, January 20, 2011

Disappointed But Thankful

I learned Monday that the CityCat and CityFerries are not expected to be up and running for three months. Today we heard that it will be a limited operation as all 24 docks sustained some kind of damage and it will be 18 months before being fully operational. Unfortunately I never was able to ride them as I picked up the schedule the afternoon before the floodwaters came. I did take a picture of the ferries our first days here.  So I thought I would share them.  The smaller CityFerry is the intercity ferry while the larger CityCat travels further up and down the river.

You can see the CityCat coming towards you leaving its dock at Riverside, while the little CityFerry, the small boat with the blue stripe, is stopped at its dock at Eagle St Pier. The buildings around here have been pumping out most of the week. Eagle St Pier, the building with the domes which houses many popular restaurants, is also still cleaning up. The car park below was completely underwater. 

I feel bad that I’m so disappointed to miss out on this opportunity of traveling up and down the river on the ferries and visiting the many riverside attractions. Then I realize how fortunate we are to be safe and well when so many others are without homes, many businesses have been affected and lives have been lost. So we will get around as best we can and see what we are able to. Except the three days we were stuck inside I have been able to be out exploring everyday.

Thank you God for your protection!



Items damaged by floodwaters waiting for garbage pickup.
 


Sign in gardens about the 1893 flood of Brisbane.



Footpath along garden riverbank blocked off.



Riverwalk partially underwater.



Cleanup downtown. Bob's building is off to the upper left.



4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that the ferries won't reopen while you are there. I hope the clean up efforts go much faster than anticipated and I'm so glad to see you are still exploring by foot despite roads and pathways being blocked off. Perhaps there are some private boats that run up and down the river?

    Did you see that Oprah is having her show in Sydney today? Was there much talk of this in Brisbane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not much traffic on the river just official boats, they are unsure what debris is down under the water. All the tour boats and ferries went off somewhere for safety before the high water came. We've seen a little bit of the Oprah series. Last time Bob was down in Sydney they were gearing up for her visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this intrepid adventurer, chronicler of events, photographer and well spoken blogger? It must be that living upside down brings those traits out in you! Your entries are interesting, clever, informative, and accompanied by beautiful and interesting pictures. I too am disappointed that we will not be able to enjoy your anticipated river adventures, but you are right. You are safe and that is a blessing. I thank the Lord every day that you are able to be there with Bob. I look forward to your entries every day. I believe you were "born to blog". I am so proud of you little sister. Keep up the good work - You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete