Saturday, January 22, 2011

City Botanic Gardens - Part II

I expected to see more flowers and flowering trees than I did it being summertime here. I did see a nursery area where they had a few things ready for planting and another area where men were working to prepare the soil. Our friends tell me they can get four seasons from their vegetable garden, so I’m not sure if it’s the same for flowers. Maybe I will have a chance to go back again and have the guided tour. It was a warm morning, but most of the pathways were shaded. It did get warm in the sun, but that’s when I took my break under the tree. I first heard then saw a very loud bird, but I did not have any luck getting a picture of him. There also were a few butterflies I encountered but again I did not get a chance to photograph any.  So here are a few of the flowers and plants I did see plus a friend or two that I encountered on my way through the garden.


Bird of Paradise

I just thought this was interesting how the moss grew in the cracks.
I liked this blossom just laying on the pathway.
When I looked at the picture later I noticed the ant on the petal.


I'm not sure who startled who.
I was just trying to see the name of a tree and this guy scurried out of the undergrowth.

Dusky Moorhen


I wandered back the same pathway later and my little friend was there again.
I wasn't sure if he would let me pass, but he just sat there while I took
another picture and walked on by.

As I was leaving the gardens I looked back to see what kind of picture I could get
and I saw this guy carrying a branch.
 He's an Australian White Ibis also known as a "Sheep Bird"


3 comments:

  1. The variety of plants is always so interesting. The tropical spikey plants remind me of what you might see in Florida. The birds made me think of Matthew. I wonder if he has seen a moorehen?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned on the tv yesterday and Oprah came on and she was in Australia...I had to watch to see what I could see. They showed some beautiful pics of some amazing places there! If you were in the audience you could have gotten a pink diamond along with the other 6,000 people there! Enjoyed you pics of the flowers! Oh - mom and dad said they were going to try to talk with you today! (this is lynda again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure does sound like you are learning a lot about different plants and creatures there! How much fun!

    ReplyDelete