Here are some inside pictures of St. John’s Cathedral (anglican) and a few other churches I have visited the last couple of days. After the foundation stone was laid in 1901 St. John’s Cathedral (the mother church of the Diocese of Brisbane) was built in three stages (1906-10, 1964-68, and 1989-2009) and is the only fully stone-vaulted ceiling in Australia. According to their pamphlet “it is likely to be the last neo-Gothic building to be completed in the world.” They have over 400 needlework seat cushions each displaying the local environment of Queensland, more than 150 stained glass lights and a baptismal font that is a fossilized piece of limestone over 350 million years old. St. Stephen’s Chapel is Queensland’s Oldest Church and it is here Mary MacKillop, Australia’s first canonized saint, worshipped from 1870-71. At St. Paul’s they were holding mass so I didn’t want to intrude on the services by taking pictures. I also found a couple of other churches to photograph as well. I have really enjoyed finding these churches and going inside those I could and have a quiet moment in the midst of a busy city.
 |
St. John's Cathedral
I went back to take the tour of this church. |
 |
You can see the difference in the sandstone
and morter joints when the final
section was added. |
 |
| Hand stitched seat cushions |
 |
| Volunteer stitchers were given supplies and attended workshops. |
 |
Baptismal font.
I could see some of the fossilized shells in the supports. |
 |
| St. Stephen's Chapel |
 |
Mary MacKallop statue carved from an 100 yr old
camphor laurel tree. |
 |
| St. Paul's |
 |
Salvation Army where we worship.
I haven't taken any inside pictures yet. |
 |
| St. Ann's Presbyterian |
 |
| City Tabernacle Baptist Church |
 |
St. Andrew's Lutheran Church
(This is for Phil and Rachel) |
 |
All Saint's Church again with
inside view below. |
How great it is for you to be able to visit all these different churches and learn of their history! Sounds like you are really enjoying your visit down under. Do you guys plan on getting down to Sydney some time? How far is that from you? Hope you guys get to do some more exploring together this weekend. The forecast for Monday morning is minus 6 degrees. Do you miss those temps :-)
ReplyDeletehey...not sure why it said "Doug said" but it was what "Lynda said" :-)
ReplyDeleteDon't miss the cold at all! The exchange of degrees did work! We've been a little cooler since then. Low 80's! :-)
ReplyDeletebet all those stitched seat cushions were beautiful
ReplyDeleteThe cushions were beautiful but very hard. I read they were first suggested to add color to the cathedral and then were made after the Governor's wife complained the seats were uncomfortable. As far as I'm concerned they accomplished getting the colors but not so much the comfort!
ReplyDelete