Monday, January 17, 2011

Churches

While walking to church the last couple of weeks, I noticed we passed a number of other churches. I decided I wanted to make a day of photographing these churches and touring the ones I could. I had a great day and it was nice just to take some time in a couple of these churches to sit and pray and worship on my own. I learned that the Uniting Churches are a combination of three churches. In 1977 the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches decided they would join together to create the Uniting Church.

I realized later that I had missed a couple of churches (including the one we attend) as I had to keep crossing the street to capture pictures and ended up not backtracking as I had planned. One of the churches has specific tour times that I missed. So look for another posting or two of Churches.

Good Shepherd Church of Christ
(Korean Services)

St. John's Cathedral


St. Andrew's Uniting Church
This was a Presbyterian church before merging with St. Ann's

Inside St Andrew's



Inside St. Andrew's

All Saint's Church (Anglican)

 Albert Street Uniting Church
This church opened in 1889 although the history
goes back to the first methodist meeting in 1847

Inside Albert Street


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice day for a walking tour. Nice to see blue sky. We have blue sky for now. It has stopped snowing but it is cold. No school because of Martin L King Day. Will start back to work tomorrow. I look forward to the next installment of churches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of churches! Beautiful architecture too! Glad to see you are able to get out and about the city a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they are all so beautiful. It sounds like you are enjoying the church you are currently going to, but do you have any plans to visit some of these churches? I bet the acoustics would be really neat in some of those big old buildings. I could just hear the priests chanting in the Cathedral. And I would love to hear that organ in St. Andrews. Wow. That is some organ. Maybe they will have some organ concerts or choir concerts you can go see in there. It would be a fun adventure to visit lots of different churches while you don't have your normal obligations of Sunday School, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete