Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Living Without “Stuff”

It was nice that we didn’t have to worry about finding a place to live. We were given a furnished two-bedroom apartment to live in while we are here. We just had to supply food items, cleaning supplies, towels and sheets. But surprisingly you can get along without some of the things you have in your own place. I had brought some pencils and pens but forgot about a pencil sharpener, so we have been using a knife to sharpen the pencils. I didn’t want to pack picture frames and have them broken, so at first we just set out our family photos to make it feel like home. I admit we did find some inexpensive picture frames because the pictures kept falling over. We don’t have dressers here, but have two small organizers that fit in the closets for our folded clothes.

We had a little trouble figuring out the gas stove and oven. We used a gas stove when we were first married, but here the starter button was broken and we needed to get it fixed. We couldn’t operate the oven because all the markings had worn off. So when the maintenance man came I wrote down the temperature and cooking settings.  Because they had cleaned the oven, the shelving was all apart. I’m happy to say between Bob and I we figured it out and the first thing we cooked in the oven was garlic bread and we didn’t burn it! We are even learning when to use the grilling settings and the fan forced settings. Not wanting to purchase a lot of spices and extras for such a short time, we have made the meals we eat at home simple. You really can live without a potato peeler, rubber scraper, baking items, and even a mop and bucket. I have learned to use the electric skillet for a lot of things. Besides there is always the option of eating out!

I find it funny that when you don’t have all that “stuff” that’s in your own home, how much easier it is to keep a place clean. Why do we feel we need to hang on to so much stuff in our lives? We’ve had our place back home for six years and I’m constantly going through things trying to get organized and/or get rid of stuff. Life is so much easier without all that “stuff.” Plus you have all that extra time to be together or get out and see and enjoy the sights!


Temperature Control



These are celsius settings


Fan Forced or Grill?




We actually put it together!



1 comment:

  1. I am often complaining to Vern that I feel owned by my stuff. I wish I could get rid of most of it but Vern wants to hang on to all the stuff. I would love to live without stuff!

    ReplyDelete