Friday, February 11, 2011

Cleanup and Recovery

A month ago today the flood waters arrived in Brisbane. Cleanup and recovery is still going on. While many places in the city are back and running, some are still closed down and rebuilding. Many places outside the city may take months to rebuild.


Taking damaged docking away.
 




Various boats that helped with cleanup
 
One morning last week I saw a huge barge with a crane on it come down and set up across from our building. I watched it for about 45 minutes as the tugs maneuvered it into place and set the anchors next to the ferry dock. Later the crane pulled up what looked like part of the walkway of the CityFerry dock along with other debris. It stayed throughout the day pulling up debris and at one point it looked like they brought up the floor of the end of the dock and worked on it, but the next day they put it up on a smaller barge and took it away.



Lifting the walkway that was underwater.
 

Pulling up the bottom floor of the dock
 

This is a different barge with a semi trailer on it.
You can see the water level markings on it.
I wonder where they found it.
 
The majority of the bikeway and pathways affected by the floods are open. Downriver from us they are still working on the floating part of the boardwalk where parts of it had broken away.  At the Riverside ferry docks where there was extensive damage to the lower restaurants they had closed the river boardwalk for a week or so again but it is now open. The lower restaurants and the car parks there are still closed. The museums down at South Bank as well as the Streets Beach area are still closed but many of the restaurants are open. It's nice that the river is not as muddy although it is still a bit murky.



Jellyfish restaurant
 



Water damaged ferry schedule above, ticket office below!
 

Starting February 14 partial service to almost half of the CityCat and CityFerry terminals will be operational! So I will finally be able to ride on the river to some parts of the city!!!! The CityCat has six less terminals and the CityFerry dock across from us will remain closed until further notice. Services will be a little less but it’s good to see the ferries back on the river getting ready for next week. This past week there has been more activity on the river as work progresses and people enjoy the river.



They are coming back!
 

Getting ready for Monday!
 
 

Someone sailing there boat back up river a week or so ago.
 

Jet skiers on a Sunday afternoon outing.
 
Little by little things are getting back to normal. I can’t believe we have been here over a month already. We have seen so many things and much has happened but there is a lot more to see!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah...you will finally get to experience the city ferry! I bet you're excited about that. Well saw on facebook today you are having another grand-daughter. How exciting! Congrats Grandma! Kim posted a pregnant pic for me, she looks adorable. Wow - lots of new babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you'll be able to use the ferries while you are there! It looks like you have seen lots of interesting boats during the clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will add my congrats too. I'm glad you will be able to tour the city by boat. I know how much you wanted to do that. I am looking forward to finding out what you will see.

    ReplyDelete