We have been watching the weather and we pray that you are all safe and warm during the winter storms. While most of you back in the states are dealing with snow and cold that has been traveling across the nation, far north Queensland is facing another crisis. We will not be directly impacted. The public and private hospitals in Cairns were evacuated and many if not all the patients were brought down to Brisbane. Cyclone Yasi is heading for far north Queensland and is as wide as Hurrican Katrina was with winds 30 mph stronger. This cyclone is coming as a category five cyclone, probably the worst Queensland and Australia has seen. As of 7:00pm it is expected to hit land at 11pm WednesdayA.E.D.T with 180 mph winds or more and a storm surge of 20-25 feet, with heavy rains as well. The eye of the storm is almost 22 miles wide and will take an hour to pass over. Even towns 250 miles inland could still experience Category 3 intensity. The officials have been warning and preparing people for this all week. Many evacuation centers were set up and most are filled to capacity. Please pray for the safety of the people, emergency workers and all the rescue operations that are in place to help as soon as it is safe to do so.
We will continue to keep you all in our prayers that the temperatures will warm and the snow will not stay for long. Stay safe!
Pictures taken from our TV of ABC News Channel 24
I've been hearing about the hurrican coming. Do you know Roger and Judy Wheeler from Edgewood? I think they came after you left. Well they were heading to Australia yesterday or today to visit family. Pat Bink thinks they were going to the area that will be hit. Suspect with the weather in the states and there, they might not have taken off yet. We ended up getting 4 inches of snow. So once again the big hype was for nothing. I know lots of states got hit hard, but we got nothing, but yet most of the area schools are closed. Can't imagine why they made that decision. Oh well - let down again by our weather forecasters!
ReplyDeleteWe too are closed today, Vern was wondering why as well. He and I will be home together as he is recovering from a stomach bug the kids had this weekend. He's been down 2 days now. I guess all the bugs I am exposed to every day have protected me. The weather is crazy everywhere. Fortunately we have all weathered the storms well an haven't been subjected to the worst of it. Thanks for sharing about the storm - I was unaware of it. I will certainly be thinking of them and praying for the people in the path of it.
ReplyDelete