We went to the Easter Sunrise service where I was able for the first time to hear Phil preach. I have been able to read his many sermons but this was the first time I was able to hear him preach. It was a great service where the youth took part. It started with the front of the church bare of anything but a crown of thorns on the alter table. As the pianist played a haunting tune of “Were you there?” someone came and took the crown and as the song progressed and changed to Crown Him with Many Crowns the youth and pastors redressed the alter and pulpit along with the beautiful Easter flowers it was very moving. I have always celebrated Easter morning with “He is Risen” followed by “He is Risen indeed!” But on that first Easter morning the people were still mourning Jesus’ death until they realized He was risen as He said. It was very moving.
What an awesome experience to hear Phil preach! It was a wonderful sermon and I learned some things I never realized before. Only at one point did I lose focus and think back to the little boy, now a man standing before me, teaching me, a few tears escaped before I refocused to listen. (When I read the sermon later, I had only missed a small portion.) It was incredible. After service there was a breakfast in the fellowship hall and then two more services where the Pastor preached and choir sang.
On Monday afternoon Phil and I went back to the church so I could get pictures and we were able to explore the church a little more. He even convinced me to climb up into the bell tower. I was hesitant when we first walked into the church but on the way out he asked again and we climbed up the two ladders to see the view from the bell tower and I was glad I did. It was fun to see the view from up there and to overcome my fear of heights for a unique experience with Phil in the church where he is currently working.
 |
| Zion Lutheran Church of Amor |
 |
| Phil at the pulpit |
 |
| Panoramic view from the balcony |
 |
| Back of the sanctuary and balcony |
 |
| Fellowship hall (old sanctuary) |
 |
| Beautiful quilt hanging in the fellowship hall |
 |
| Part of the kitchen |
 |
| Library |
 |
| Church register from the 1880s |
 |
| Decoration on the fellowship hall tables |
 |
Fellowship hall looking back toward narthex
Phil's office is on the right |
 |
Phil outside his office (above) and inside his office (below)
|
 |
| Ladder up to the bell tower |
 |
| The bell that calls the community to worship |
 |
| Looking North... |
 |
| South... |
 |
| West.. |
 |
| East |
 |
| I like the back of the sign too! |
 |
Original site of the church
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Gotalund Congregation |
No comments:
Post a Comment